Blue Eared Pheasant – Карельский зоопарк

Blue Eared Pheasant

Class: Birds

Order: Galliformes

Family: Phasianidae

Weight: Males 1.7-2.1 kg, females 1.5-1.75 kg

Height: About 40 cm

Body length: 25 to 40 cm

Coloration: They have a black cap on their head and a bright red facial patch, with long white ear tufts, that is why they are called “eared” pheasants. The body and wings are grey-blue.

Age of sexual maturity: In the second year of life

Incubation period: 24-28 days

Lifespan: About 15 years

Habitat range: Eared pheasants are found in all mountain forests of central and western China.

Diet: In the wild, their diet consists of about 80% plants (spruce and knotweed, leaves, reeds) and 20% small invertebrates (mainly beetles and their larvae).

Did you know?

  • These birds do not migrate to warmer regions.
  • All eared pheasants thrive in captivity, and many can live and reproduce well in reserves.
  • It is best to keep eared pheasants in spacious aviaries.